Sunday, March 11, 2012

20-Minute Tuesday - a step beyond mere scrambled tofu

...or, more stuff you can do with the Vegan Brunch omelet mix.  I know I go on and on about that omelet mix, so if you're not ready for more, just skip this post.  But if you do read it, there's a bonus at the end of this post for your patience.

I know it's Sunday, but I've got a very busy week ahead of me at work, and probably will have no time for posting.  And I probably really will have something like this next Tuesday.

Remember how back in the day I made tofu donburi?  Well, maybe you don't, but it's a Japanese dish of fried tofu with eggs cooked in broth.  That egg-on-tofu idea has stuck with me ever since.  The omelet mix has proved so useful that most weeks I add it to my rotation of "things I make every week" which also includes tofu yogurt and sometimes cashew yogurt as well (which is better in cooked dishes), cooked whole-grains-and-rice for my lunches, and salad dressings.  So when you come home late from work, it's right there, and you don't just have to make omelets with it.  Here are two takes on scrambled "eggs" that are super-easy, and super-fast.  Both start out with a little fried onion and a fresh tomato.

For the first variation, add the omelet mix, and chunks of fresh, uncooked tofu (I like softer types for this, but of course you can suit your own preference):


Cover, and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring infrequently so the omelet mix chunks stay soft and cloud-like, and remain in large curds:


Season it up any way you like it--just salt and pepper is fine, though--and serve with a veggie side dish or two or a salad that you can put together while the tofu cooks.  Here you see green beans and peas cooked with spinach, and a side of mashed carrots and squash:


For the second variation, you need a bit of cooked pasta, and you add that instead of tofu to the omelet mix:


Not too much; it's an egg dish, not a pasta dish.  You can eat it just like this if you like:


...or fancy it up even more by adding vegan soft cheese and/or vegan parmesan (in this case frozen homemade cashew cheese, plus some almonzano (recipes/links are on the sidebar to the right):


Cook that in a little bit, and it's ready:


The side here is a delicious mixture of cooked french lentils, chopped broccoli, spinach, and carrots--and some fruit chili (basically a peach/pear/apple chutney that my mom and my aunt made) for a garnish.  That took a little longer, but I made extra of the lentils, so next time I'll just be able to toss them into something.

Heaven bless Isa and her omelet mix!

And if you've made it down this far, here's a bonus mystery picture:


This one really surprised me.  It's a pretty common kitchen staple, though not one I've posted about recently.  Good luck!

19 comments:

  1. Great tofu idea; I'll ty it out for sure. btw, is the picture mixed peppercorns?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that looks good! I like the tofu/omelette combo, I mean it just looks like a perfect consistency and so yummy and satisfying. I'm definitely going to try this soon.

    I love to have cooked beans/lentils around to toss into things too, can't go wrong with those as staples in the kitchen.

    I'm going to guess all spice berries for the mystery pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes! They look so smooth to the naked eye, and all one colour--amazing how different they are close up.

      Delete
  4. I saw a pasta omelet post somewhere recently that was pretty intriguing. I love all your side dishes. The lentil dish sounds really great. And, yeah, I'd guess peppercorns too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maud, that lentil thing was really good--it looks like one of your salads, but cooked!

      Delete
  5. Hey, I'm back--but not really. Still swamped at work, but I wanted to check and say hi. These mystery photos get me every time! I'm going to guess red quinoa just to keep things interesting.
    So that omelet mix really does keep for days and days? DO you need to reblend it or can you just store it in a jar in your fridge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy,
      Yes, it keeps for days and days, five days at least, in a covered container in the fridge. Sometimes there's a little water that separates out on top, but you can either pour that off or just stir it in. Otherwise, it looks just the same as just made.

      Delete
  6. You're going to break me down with the many uses of that omelet batter until I finally buy Vegan Brunch. I've so far resisted because breakfast is my least favorite meal, but again and again you show dinner dishes based on recipes from that book. As always, it looks beautiful. And I'm terrible at your mystery photos, but I will guess peppercorns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Renae, I hardly ever make breakfast, other than oatmeal or a little fruit, but breakfast *food* is good any time of the day. The crepe recipe is also excellent, and, you know, I haven't got too far beyond them. There's a big section on tofu scrambles which isn't all that useful (at least for me--honestly, how hard is a scramble?) but the seitan sausages, for instance, are really good. Check it out in the store. Ahem, Isa just makes omelets with her omelet mix, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose I'm finally going to have to make up some omelet mix and try it again because I can't keep seeing you making all these great-looking dishes with it and not give it another try. It does look so appealing in your photos. Not to mention I have some locally made fresh tofu in the fridge.

    About the mystery photo — the first thought in my head was poppy seeds because of the shape and color shades, but I never would have said it since they look so gnarly. I read through the comments and sure enough, that's what they are. But the surface texture just seems so wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna have to find that Omelet batter recipe. It looks fantastic.

    I never would've guessed Poppy Seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of having omelet mix in the fridge to make scrambled "eggs" for dinner! Gonna have to give it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi again, I really do enjoy reading your recipes and writeups, so I have an award for you on my blog. Drop by to pick it up anytime from 10:00am (BST) Friday:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t get over how many different variations you have for that omelette mix! I haven’t even tried it yet. I love hearing about people’s quick weeknight meals, I’m always looking for new things to add to my rotation.
    I totally thought those were peppercorns, I had no idea poppyseeds had so many different color variation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your article is very helpful thank you very much for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your post very much i had nice time while reading your post

    ReplyDelete